Allergy season is starting and I’ve been getting lots of questions on how to avoid sinus congestion and other allergy symptoms. After this crazy winter I want all of you to be able to play outside as much as possible.
The biggest suggestion I can offer is to cut out dairy. The Mind Body Detoxers were amazed with how their sinus symptoms disappeared within the first week of taking out dairy. Try it yourself and notice the difference. It also helps to get plenty of H20 (aim for half your body weight in ounces), 8-hours of shut-eye (or try adding at least 15 minutes per night), and cleansing your sinuses a couple times per week with a neti pot (not glamorous but neither is snot).
I never like to take something out of my diet without having an alternative because then I feel deprived. A great alternative to dairy in salads, desserts, snacks, smoothies, spreads and wraps…
Yes, avocados are high in fat, but it’s good, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat which will keep your heart healthy. Plus, they are rich in B vitamins (did someone say extra energy!)
Try experimenting with swapping cheese for some avocado on sandwiches or even on top of a slice of toasted Ezekiel bread in the morning with some red pepper flakes. I use them in smoothies to make them extra creamy and dip my veggies in my Fiesta Guacamole. Impress your friends with these easy recipe:
• 1 avocado – pitted and mashed
• Juice of ½ lemon
• Juice of ½ lime
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
• ¼ c cilantro – chopped
• 2 TB red onion – diced (optional)
• 1 vine ripe tomato – remove the seeds and dice (optional)
Mix all ingredients together and serve
Tips on choosing and storing an avocado:
• Pick an avocado that has a slight give when you squeeze it. Avoid ones that are super hard or dent when pressed.
• I usually use ¼ – ½ of an avocado at a time if I’m just cooking for one. If you don’t use the whole avocado, wrap up the leftover half, pit included, for up to 24 hours. The green outer layer may be a bit brown but simply scrape it off and enjoy.
Do you have recipe that uses avocados? If so, share it with the group in the comments section below.
Lots of love and easy breathing,
PS: Want more? Check out one of my old posts with a delicious cashew cheese recipe perfect which is a great substitute for cheese.