Granola bars have been dubbed a healthy breakfast but some brands include added sugars and other health sabotaging ingredients.
These homemade bars are easy to make and can be frozen.
There sweetened with medjool dates bananas instead of inflammatory white sugar.
The peanut butter, almonds and pumpkin seeds add healthy fats to keep you satisfied and protein that will help stabilize your blood sugars stable.
Try them for breakfast or for a mid-day snack.
Easy, Homemade Granola Bars
Makes 10 bars
- 1/2 cup packed medjool dates (find these in the product section)
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (2 small or 1 1/2 large bananas)
- 1-2 TB water – if needed (or maple syrup if you want extra sweetness)
- 5 TB creamy unsalted natural peanut butter (you can also use almond butter)
- 1/2 cup sliced or roughly chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (organic and gluten free)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 8 x 8-inch baking dish pan with parchment paper or coconut oil to avoid sticking.
- In food processor, use the pulse setting to lightly chop oats making sure to leave some larger pieces. Remove oats from food processor and place in medium size mixing bowl.
- Add dates to food processor and blend with 1 TB of water until small bits remain. Add banana, peanut butter and vanilla then blend another 30-60 seconds until almost smoothie some a little but of texture left over.
- Add date, banana, peanut butter and vanilla mixture with the oats in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended. Then transfer mixture to baking dish.
- Spread mixture evenly and firmly pack by pressing down with spoon or bottle of a glass.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm and edges are lightly golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes (or 10 miuntes in fridge) before cutting.
- These will keep in the fridge for 5 days or freeze them for longer.
- If you don’t have a food processor a blender will do. Or chop the dates into small pieces and mash banana with a fork. You can skip blending the oats.