Hello there Wellness Tribe,
This past Wednesday, I held a Mind Body Detox (MBD) Workshop in at Balance Yoga in Atlanta and 16 people committed to the 14-Day MBD. I decided to join the group and am on day 5 and have to say I’m feeling AH-mazing!
One of the basics of the MBD is having a green smoothie every morning. A green smoothie might not look delicious, but don’t knock it until you try it. I’ve been on the green smoothie bandwagon for a couple years now and have never felt better. My friends and family are getting hip to it as well, and I’m hoping you will too.
Why greens? They are nutritional powerhouses filled with water, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and vitamins A, C, E and K. They are loaded with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. They are essential to establishing a healthy body and immune system. Eating greens will strengthen your blood and respiratory system as well as help neutralize acid conditions caused by the environment and the not-so-healthy foods we eat. They make you feel good, help you lose weight and will increase your energy.
Drinking your greens first thing in the morning will change your life!
The best part – it only takes 5 minutes (clean up included)! For all you busy people out there, this one is for you. All you need is a blender and to follow the simple instructions below.
How to Make a Killer Smoothie – Serves 1
1 cup Liquid + 1-2 cup Greens + 1-2 cups Fruit + (optional) Protein, Healthy Fat and/or Bonus
1. Start with 1 cup liquid: water, unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened nut/seed milk of choice (almond, hazelnut, brazil nut, hemp, etc.)
2. Add 1-2 cups of leafy greens. For newbies, spinach is a good starter green. Other options: kale, collards, bok coy, green beans, romaine, spring mix, bibb lettuce. I’ve even been tossing in ½ of a cucumber.
3. Add 1-2 cups of fruit. Bananas, avocados, mango and pineapple will make your smoothie creamy. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries are filled with anti-oxidants and are low glycemic. Experiment with apples, pears, kiwi, grapes, peaches, etc.
1. Protein: 1 TB nut butter, 1 TB chai or hemp seeds or a scoop of hemp powder. You can use a protein powder as a transitional ingredient. I recommend RAW Power Protein, Amazing Grass or Vega Brand protein powers since they contain the least amount of excess ingredients.
2. Healthy Fats: ½ avocado (also in the fruit section), 1 TB flax seed or chai seeds or ½ TB coconut oil (these will help keep you full for longer).
3. Bonuses: Maca powder, cocoa nibs or powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, ginger or organic, non-GMO stevia.
1. Load the blender with your greens and liquid, process until smooth. Then add fruit and any extras and process one more time.
2. Once you find a favorite combo, make enough for 2 servings. Put the leftover smoothie in an air-tight container and stick it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 3 days or you can freeze them for longer. They make great snacks!
3. Use frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold.
Did you know greens are the number one food missing in Americans diets? Please join me on my mission to increase greens consumption in American (this is big people). Share this blog with everyone you know and try drinking a green smoothie for the next 14 days. I guarantee you will feel lighter, have more spring in your step and be inspired to eat healthier throughout the day.
Do you have a favorite green smoothie recipe?
Share with the group in the comments section below.
Try one of my favorites – the Green Machine Smoothie. If this one is too green for you, try this Peanut Butter and Chocolate Smoothie.
The Green Machine Smoothie
• 2 cups water
• 2 TB chia seeds
• 2 green apples
• 3/4 – 1 cup fresh cilantro or mint
• 1 avocado
• 2 cups kale (if you are new to green smoothie, you can do 1 cup and add from there)
Blend the liquid, chia seeds and kale together first. Then blend in rest of ingredients
Want more smoothie recipes? Check out my 5 Day Mind Body Detox Sneak Peek.