As promised, here is one of the yummy pumpkin recipes I made that I wanted to share with you.* When most of us think of pumpkin, our mouths start watering for pumpkin pie. But in this Pumpkin Enchilada recipe, pumpkin makes the filling wonderfully creamy.
In addition to being delicious, pumpkin can help with weight loss; it only has 49 calories and 3g of fiber per 1 cup serving. Its combination of carbs and fiber will slowly digest, giving you long lasting energy (bye, bye hunger!). Pumpkin also contains the anti-oxidant beta-carotene, which is linked to cancer prevention and neutralizing free radical damage (aka glowing skin). And it contains more potassium than a banana and a dose of good ol’ vitamin C.
*I mentioned this in last week’s newsletter to Wellness Club members. Not a member yet? Just fill out the quick form at the top of this page!
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 2 portabella mushrooms, diced in small pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1, 15-oz can organic pumpkin
- 1, 15-ounce organic can black beans
- 1, 8-ounce packet of enchilada sauce (I used Frontera brand)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional for some kick)
- 1 small can diced grill chilies
- 3 large corn or whole wheat tortillas (find one with the shortest number of ingredients)
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- Shredded cheese or vegan substitute (such as Daiya) – you choose how much
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat coconut oil in large sauce pan, then add chopped onions and jalapenos if using. Saute for 3-5 minutes then add diced mushrooms and cook for another 5-8 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add 4-ounces enchilada sauce, pumpkin, chilies, and black beans, then cook 5-8 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Place thin layer of enchilada sauce in 9 inch round baking pan. Layer tortilla, cheese, bean mixture, tortilla, cheese, bean mixture, cilantro and ending with tortilla, cheese then remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake for about 20 minutes uncovered, until the cheese is melted.
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe? If so, please share in the comments section below.
Happy and healthy cooking,
PS: Are you looking to stay on track this holiday season but need a little guidance and accountability? I have 3 spots left for VIP nutrition coaching. Click the contact tab above if you are if you are ready to look better than ever before the 2014.