This salad is one of my family’s summertime favorites. My Berry Summer Salad is a remake of my Aunt Jill’s recipe and you’re gonna love it.
Strawberries topped the 2016 EWG’s ‘Dirty 12′ and C’lean 15’ list so make sure to buy them organic when possible. They are in season so are bursting with flavor and cheaper this time of year. (Tip: buy them in bulk now and freeze some for fall to save some cash.)
Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are low glycemic fruits which mean they contain less sugar than tropical fruits like bananas, pineapples and mangos. They will help elevate your mood, contain anti-oxidants to keep you well and fiber to aide with digestion.
This salad is a powerhouse of goodness. Feel free to swap out the types of berries to make it your own. Enjoy.
Aunt Jill’s Strawberry and Blueberry Summer Salad – Serves 2
- 4-5 cups mixutre of spinach, baby kale or mixed greens
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup blueberries (I used blackberries this time – see pic)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (Jill does feta cheese – I do seeds)
- 4 TB white vinegar
- 2 TB olive oil (or flax oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 TB maple syrup (optional)
- Mix greens, berries, onion and seeds (or feta) together.
- Dressing: Combine vinegar, oil and optional maple syrup. Pour over salad, toss till coated then serve.
Notes: You can make a larger batch and eat over 1-3 days. Store the dressing separately and add it right before eating.