Reset Challenge Week Four Recipe
Have you heard of Skyline Chili?
It’s a northern thing originating in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The original version is served on top of spaghetti noodles then topped with finely shredded cheese and oyster crackers. I lightened it up by swapping the meat for lentils, made my own spice mix and used spaghetti squash in place of the noodles. I kept the oyster crackers and cheese but you can use gluten free crackers and vegan cheese if desired.
The new version is super delicious and has less salt, refined carbs and saturated fat than the original.
Vegetarian Skyline Chili
- 1 cup green lentils (I use Trader Joe’s or Melissa’s Steamed Lentils to save time)*
- 1, 15-ounce can organic pizza sauce
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- ½ TB chili powder
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ cup chopped scallions – optional topper
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 TB olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Sometimes the squash is hard to cut, so place it in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften it up if needed. Rub a bit of olive oil on the cut sides of the squash. Place the cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 30-35 minutes. Remove spaghetti squash and let cool while you prepare the lentil “meat.” Use fork to rake squash to make ‘noodles’. The squash also can be made ahead of time and re-heated.
- Meanwhile in large sauce pan, heat lentils, onion, pizza sauce and water covered until boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and add spices. Cook on medium heat, uncovered for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens to consistency similar to a runny Sloppy Joe.
- When cooled enough to handle, use fork to rake squash to make ‘noodles’. Top squash with lentil ‘meat’, cheese, oyster crackers and scallions.
It’s been a pleasure being your nutrition coach over the past 4 weeks! You’re invited to continue the clean eating challenge by joining the Happy Body Group Program starting Oct. 17. For more details and to sign-up go HERE.
Or if you want to work 1:1 to tackle your food, yoga and lifestyle struggles I’d love to help. Email me to get started.