You’re going to love this recipe. Everyone I share it with goes crazy for it and cannot believe it’s gluten and dairy free. The perfect “low-carb,” comfort meal.
Veggie “Cheese” Bake
• 1 small eggplant – cut 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 zucchini – cut 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 yellow squash – cut 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 red or organe pepper – remove seeds and cut into quarters
• 1 jar organic spaghetti sauce (low sugar)
• Cashew Cheese (see recipe)
• Olive Oil (I have a Misto so the olive oil sprays on evenly)- I drizzle this on the top to make it yummy.
a) Set oven to 425 degrees. In 9 X 9 inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce.
b) Layer as follows: eggplant, sauce, cheese, sauce, zucchini, sauce, yellow squash, cheese, sauce, red pepper, sauce, orange pepper, and sauce.
c) Cover and bake for 60 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- 1 ½ cups raw, organic cashews (soak 1-2 hours to soften but it’s okay to skip)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup water
- 2 TB fresh, lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1/4 cup frsh basil
- ½ tsp sea salt
Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender. Adjust to suite your taste buds by adding more lemon or other spices (oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper, etc.)
*adapted for this recipe to make it thinner than the Basil Cashew Cheese