Building your connection with mother earth will help strengthen the connection you have with your body. I became a vegetarian 5 years ago and my life has changed in many ways ever since. My mindset from calories in calories out shifted to focusing on foods that grow from the ground that are seasonal and fresh.
Just like our bodies we only get one so keeping it healthy and happy is a must.
Here are 5 simple ways to show mother earth some love.
- Remember your reusable grocery bags. Those plastic bags add up – enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times!For over a year, I kept forgetting my reusable bags at home. had Now I keep them in my car and put them on the garage door knob to remind me to bring them to my car after I unpack the groceries.
- Recycle your toilet paper rolls. Hopefully you are already recycling but does your toilet paper roll get into the recycle bin? Each year, over 17 billion toilet paper tubes are thrown away.
- Reduce your intake of meat (or experiment with a plant-based diet). My journey started with Alicia Silverstone’s “The Kind Diet.” There are plenty of to-die-for meals that are vegetarian and I share my favorites on this blog. By reducing your meat intake by 20% creates the same energy savings as switching to a standard Prius. Even fast food restaurants offer vegetarian options. Burger Kind and White Castle has a veggie burgers and Skyline Chili now offer veggie chili.
- Get a reusable water bottle. According to Brita, Americans throw away 35 billion plastic water bottles every year! Keeping a water bottle with you throughout the day will encourage you to drink more water. I take my Klean Kanteen everywhere and it’s BPA-free.
- Give gratitude to this amazing planet. Being in nature is a perfect way to de-stress. Take a walk, plant flowers and smell the fresh air.
Take action by choosing one or more the above ways to give back to our planet. I’d love to hear from you. Get creative and snap a shot with you in nature and share it with me on Instagram (@embracewellbeing.com).
Happy Earth Day!