How often do you appreciate your body, life, or other blessings? Daily, weekly, monthly, or never?
For most of us, it is easier to dwell on what’s not working in our lives or what we don’t like about our body than it is to acknowledge the goodness.
The root of the word appreciation means “rise in value.” Focusing on appreciation verse lack literally adds more value and happiness to your life. I’ve added an appreciation practice into my routine over the past few months and love it.
By choosing to focus on the positive aspects of your life and your body vs. on the negative not only effects your happiness but also your weight. When you’re worrying about your life or hating your body you’re more likely to overeat to numb the emotions.
The holiday season can add stress and temptations which can make the need to feed more intense unless you have a plan. And a great first step is a daily appreciation practice.
Here’s How to Start a Daily Appreciation Practice
At least once a day write down 10 things you are grateful for and bonus if you include at least one thing you like about your body. Set a reminder on your phone or do it first thing when you wake up or go to sleep. The items can be small or big or might repeat. Here’s my daily list to give you some inspiration.
- Being in Chicago and taking class with one of beloved teachers
- Listening to my friends baby’s laughter
- My old, kinda smelly yoga mat that has been my with me through thick and thin
- Airplanes even though flying is not my favorite it allows me to experience the world
- Southwest and their no fee policy for changing flight times – amazing!
- Whole foods salad bar detox salad
- Finding a local vegan coffee bar where I enjoyed decaf coffee, a green smoothie while I wrote you this email
- Sisters, moms, and girlfriends
- My legs for their strength and flexibility
- The Embrace Wellbeing community and you being part of it;))