Happy Fourth of July Weekend!
Why not get into the spirit of the holiday with this recipe makeover – American Flag Cookie Cake.
I remember eating this cake as a kid and LOVED it. The original desert recipe has tons of sugar so along with my cute helpers we made a lower sugar version that is equally as delicious.
Not only is it lower in sugar, but it also has more protein, fiber and can be made vegan! I have to admit it was strange searching for a low-sugar, sugar cookie recipe, and was concerned they’d all contained artificial sweeteners but I created one that uses maple syrup and almond flour.
Try it out and please share a picture by tagging me, @embracewellbeing on Instagram or @jackiedominasembracewellbeing on Facebook.
Now for the recipe!
American Flag Cookie Cake
For the Cookie Base:
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup arrowroot (this is a natural powder that helps hold the cookies together)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese* (I used Tofutti), softened
- 1/3 cup vegan butter*, softened (I like Earth Balance), softened
- 2 1/2 powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups strawberries – sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
The Base Cookie
*I made this ahead of time, so it was ready to ice and art with the kids
Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In large mixing bowl add all cookie ingredients and stir until combined. It will be stickier than sugar cookie dough but uniform.
Create cookie base by spreading evenly on baking sheet. I wet a spoon to soothe it out since it can stick to your fingers. Another option is to put it the fridge for 30 minutes to thicken.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, butter, vanilla and about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time and whisk vigorously until creamy. If needed, add more powder sugar to thicken.
Decorating the Cake
Using the berries create an American Flag or any other design!
Get the Kids Involved!
- Have the help clean and cut berries
- They love mixing, spreading (and tasting) the icing
- Let them decorate the cake